Monday, August 07, 2006

Apologies

Hi all,

Sorry for the long absence but I was off getting married on the rock. All is done now and I am back in the UK. My visit was an eye opener I can tell you.


I had a rather unpleasant epiphany. I lived in Jamaica between the ages of 10 and 29 and have always considered myself to be Jamaican even though Jamaicans consider me to be British. But when I went back I felt like a foreigner in the extreme - I actually felt British. I didn't recognise Jamaica and I didn't like it. Isn' t that terrible?! I feel like a traitor.

What I didn't like were the things that were bothering me a lot just before I left - they seemed highlighted. (Things like bad service and waiting endlessly for things to get done). Oddly enough I wasn't bothered by the heat at all I was fine and nothing much bit me but my now husband suffered and he was born on the rock!

What shocked me most was 2 things. The incredibly high prices (one day the dollar was 120 to 1 for the pound, the next day it was 123) and and how run down everything seemed to me. I wonder if I have been tainted by living in a 1st world country or have things in Jamaica really got much worse?

All I know is I am really comfortable with the 'easier' life I have here and definitley don't want to give it up. I'm staying in the 1st world for sure. How I've changed!

Ah confuse!

Maybe I should wait until I stay a little longer and see what I think then.

1 comment:

Mad Bull said...

Will be checking back to see if you manage to acclimatize.