Thursday, December 14, 2006

How the Beginning Can Determine the End

Jus read this story by Mark Wignall in today’s Observer. Very good piece, take a look: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/columns/html/20061213T210000-0500_116628_OBS_I_AM_JUST_A_CHILD.asp

A sad testimony on life in Jamaica, indeed life in many parts of the world. I know it often sounds like you’re submitting to the victim mentality when you say things like this but I can’t help but wonder what my life would have been like if I had been born into wealthier surroundings with highly qualified family members. Though my family is great, the culture is hardly that of high achievers, whereas some of my wealthier friends with the help of expensive extra lessons etc. – have gone on to be trained in those professions that make a lot of money and are by extension not having to worry about cash.

There’s a lot to be said for setting yourself up financially I such a way that you can have some long term residual income for your family. And also there’s a lot to be said for adopting a high achieving attitude. With just a little push (if that push comers when your are tine) you can have created the climate within which a child can go on to great things. Whether or no that child accepts that push or fights against it is their business.

No comments: