Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Dreamgirls - who is the REAL star?

There’s been a lot of’Dreamgirls’ in the news lately. For those of you who don’t know, this is the film version of the Broadway hit that ran in the 1980s starring Loretta Devine (the fat one on Waiting to Exhale), our own Sheryl Lee Ralph and Jennifer Holliday – the one who sang ‘And I Am Telling You.’

The film stars a young actress I am afraid I don’t know but I do know she is Tony winner – Beyonce Knowles in the Sheryl Lee Ralph role and Jennifer Hudson in the Jennifer Holliday role. This role (her name is Effie) is as far as I can gather the star of the film and Hudson’s performance has been lauded by all and sundry backed up by her winning a Golden Globe for it and being nominated for an Oscar. Yet everywhere I turn all I can hear is Beyonce this and Beyonce that! How ridiculous! You have a film with an Oscar winner in it (Jamie Foxx) and a Golden Globe winner and Oscar nominee (Hudson) and all you can talk about is Beyonce? Also, poor Eddie Murphy )also Oscar nominated) who is also a huge star and he barely gets a mention, not to mention the girl whose name I can’t even remember. (You know this is slackness, I’m going to google it, back in a bit).

Yes, I’m back. And her name is Anika Noni Rose. (Beg pardon Ms. Rose!) Anyway, where was I? Oh yes, why the fascination with Ms. Knowles? I know she’s a big pop star but come on man, it’s a big diss to Jennifer who has obviously done so well according to the public and the critics. The only thing I have read a critic say about Ms. Knowles’ performance was that in comparison to the others it was vapid. Anyway, I’ll reserve judgement until I see it. It won’t be out here in the UK until Feb 2. So until then . . .

(By the way, it has the crappiest website ever. It says to click here and there for further information and all you get is a big arse black page with three girls in silhouette in the centre)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have seen it and have to say that I'm not overly impressed - I thought that the girls all lacked character - they sang well and probably did as well as they could with what htey were given, but their characters never had any depth to me.

Anonymous said...

Have seen it and have to say that I'm not overly impressed - I thought that the girls all lacked character - they sang well and probably did as well as they could with what htey were given, but their characters never had any depth to me.